Q&A with Jose A. Torres of Monllor Capital Partners
Monllor Capital Partners (MCP) is a minority owned alternative asset manager based in Puerto Rico. MCP is focused on tax-advantaged ESG impact investing in renewable energy, sustainable business and infrastructure in opportunity Zones in Puerto Rico. MCP, as general partner, has organized Puerto Rico Opportunity Zone Fund, LP, a qualified opportunity zone fund.
Family Office Insights is a voluntary, “opt-in” collaborative peer-to-peer community of single family offices, qualified investors and institutional investors. Join the community here www.familyofficeinsights.com
Why Monllor Capital Partners?
Minority owned alternative asset manager with local presence and experienced management team, committed to tax advantaged ESG investing in Puerto Rico.
Why Puerto Rico Opportunity Zone Fund, LP?
ESG impact investing in renewable energy, sustainable businesses and infrastructure in Puerto Rico. Tax-advantaged investing in Opportunity Zones.
Why Puerto Rico?
After back to back hurricanes in 2017 and earthquakes in 2019, Puerto Rico is in serious need of investment. Although Puerto Rico is expected to received over $60 billion from Federal Aid, capital needs are projected in excess of $100 billion. Since 95%+ of Puerto Rico is in an opportunity zone, impact investing through a qualified opportunity zone will be part of the solution. Puerto Rico is also going through an energy transformation, as it targets 40% renewable generation by 2025, 60% by 2040 and 100% by 2050. This will require over 5 gigawatts of renewable generation and storage representing over $5 billion in investment opportunities. The first of six request for proposal for 1,500 MW was issued on February 22, 2021.
Jose A. Torres of Monllor Capital Partners
• Jose A. Torres, born in Ponce, Puerto Rico, is the managing partner and founder of Monllor Capital Partners LLC (“MCP”), an alternative asset management and advisory firm focused on tax-advantage impact investing in Puerto Rico.
• MCP’s mission is to invest in the future of Puerto Rico by making and facilitating tax-advantaged investments and as the General Partner, it organized Puerto Rico Opportunity Zone Fund, LP (“PROZ”), a qualified opportunity zone fund. PROZ will invest in renewable energy sustainable business and infrastructure in qualified opportunity zones in Puerto Rico to achieve socially sustainable impact investing that will provide attractive risk adjusted returns to investors.
• Prior to founding MCP, Mr. Torres worked for 13 years at Ares Management/Energy Investors Funds (“Ares EIF”) in San Francisco, CA, where he led the San Francisco office for the last 4 years. At Ares EIF, Mr. Torres was a partner in the Private Equity Energy Infrastructure Group and a member of its Investment Committee. His role included all aspects of origination, due diligence, negotiations and execution of investments.
• From 2003-2006, Mr. Torres held various positions at CoBank in Colorado, including vice president and head of structure finance group, where he was responsible for a $1 billion loan portfolio of non-recourse project finance transactions in the energy sector.
• From 1993-2003, Mr. Torres also held various investment banking positions at ING Barings (Chile, Amsterdam, New York) and Société Generale (New York).
• Mr. Torres holds a B.A. in Economics from The Colorado College and an International M.B.A from the American Graduate School of International Management (Thunderbird).
• After living in the continental USA for 37 years, Mr. Torres has return to Puerto Rico with over 25 years in private equity and investment banking experience.
Contact Jose: (303) 263-5331